The Role of Club Chairman
The Chairman is the principal officer of a GAA Club. As well as chairing Club Executive Committee and other Club meetings, the Chairman has prime responsibility for ensuring that the Club is a well organized, well managed and an active unit. The Chairman should be dedicated to the job, have good communication skills, have the ability to delegate key tasks and above all, be a person of integrity in the community. The contribution of the Club Chairman to the effective working of a Club can never be underestimated.
The main duties of the Club Chairman are summarised as follows:
• Provide leadership and management in the Club
• Hold effective Club meetings
• Uphold the Club constitution
• Plan ahead for the Club
• Delegate tasks to Club members
• Uphold the mission, vision and values of the GAA
These duties are now discussed in greater detail.